[OpenStack-Infra] [I18n] Regarding Zanata upgrade plan to 3.9.6 with Xenial: Help is needed

Ian Y. Choi ianyrchoi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 17:49:13 UTC 2016

Hello,

I18n team currently uses Zanata in translate.openstack.org so frequently
as an OpenStack translation platform.
I really appreciate great help from all contributors, especially infra
team members and Zanata development team
:
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack-infra/infra-specs/specs/migrate_to_zanata.html
.

Thanks to [1], the current deployed Zanata version is 3.7.3.
During about one year, there were some discussions for Zanata
enhancements in many i18n IRC meetings,
and especially Austin & Barcelona summits [2].
Zanata development team members kindly listen to such enhancements, and
they are actively upgrading Zanata
with fixing bugs and incorporating cool features, which are very helpful
for translators.

One main obstacle for upgrading Zanata (as far as I know) was that newer
versions of Zanata requires Java 8,
but it is not default on Trusty. To upgrade Zanata, upgrading from
Trusty to Xenial for translate.openstack.org is needed
since default-jre-headless on Trusty is Java 7 and Xenial is Java 8.

Recently [3] has been merged, so I really hope that i18n team will see
newer version of Zanata soon :)

I18n team discussed Zanata upgrade with pleia2 and clarkb during i18n
Barcelona meetup (See number 4 in [4]),
and the following is my thoughts on appropriate procedures to support
Zanata latest version
(Currently 3.9.6 - [5]):

1. Xenial OS test for translate-dev.openstack.org
: IMO after tests from infra team, [6] will be changed from "# Node-OS:
trusty" to "# Node-OS: xenial"

2. Using openstackid instead of openstackid-dev for translators to test
translate-dev.o.o
: I uploaded a patch [7].

3. Uploading a patch on openstack-infra/puppet-zanata for Zanata 3.9.6
: [8] is a reference for previous upgrade from Zanata 3.7.2 to 3.7.3

4. translate-dev.o.o with Zanata 3.9.6 will be ready => I18n translators
will test it :)

5. If there will be no error for Zanata 3.9,6, then node upgrade from
Trusty to Xenial and Zanata upgrade to 3.9.6
is needed for translate.openstack.org
: changing [9] line and also proposing a patch similar to [10] will be
needed later.

Since newer version of Zanata is what translators are expecting a lot :) ,
I would like to kindly ask infra team members for the help of reviewing
and accomplishing such steps with higher priority.

@clarkb, would the proposed procedures cover all the things regarding
Zanata upgrade?
If yes, would you share a sort of scheduled plans?
IMO Zanata development team will kindly help following schedules if
there will be some issues which are dependent to Zanata itself.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/240383/
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/I18n-Zanata-enhancement
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/384239/
[4] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/barcelona-i18n-meetup