[OpenStack-Infra] Advice needed on Kolla's repository split

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Nov 8 18:38:50 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-08 10:27:25 -0800 (-0800), Clark Boylan wrote:
[...]
> If you set the upstream value all branches and tags from that upstream
> will be duplicated in Gerrit as part of the initial project setup. This
> happens before we update zuul's config so shouldn't trigger any release
> jobs or anything like that (though I suppose if it somehow managed to
> run out of order that could be a problem).
[...]

We've had cases where manage-projects took longer to complete than
the zuul config updates, so when the content was pushed into Gerrit
it fired tag events which zuul saw as triggers for release jobs. In
most cases those jobs _will_ fail, but I'm worried about the corner
corner case where they don't and then we have a mess to clean up.
Not adding release jobs in the same change which instructs import of
another repo already within our infrastructure (such that release
artifacts of the donor repo might get overwritten) seems like a
sane compromise.