[OpenStack-Infra] Advice needed on Kolla's repository split

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Tue Nov 8 13:23:00 UTC 2016

Hey folks,

Kolla is splitting the Kolla repo into two (as per unanimous vote of the core reviewer team several months ago).  Please reference this diagram to understand what goes where:

https://www.gliffy.com/go/share/sg9fc5eg9ktg9binvc89

We want to ensure branches are left intact with back ports that have been made to them.  The approach I was considering was to use a project config new project addition using the upstream flag.  Does that copy branches?  If it doesn’t, is there some other way the job can be done so we don’t have to re-backport all of the maintenance work?  The project creator’s guide is unclear if the import imports branches and tags.

Basically what we want is a complete clone of the kolla repo, but called kolla-ansible in addition.  We (being someone with permissions to delete tags) will need to delete all the tags (or not carry over the tags) for the kolla-ansible repository so new artifacts can be created (1 = liberty, 2 = mitaka, 3 = newton in our version scheme).  Artifact creation happens automatically as a result of the tagging process in the releases repository.  Then we will need to delete the files not relevant to the specific deliverables.

Note, we aren’t really doing this to benefit Kolla (although we do benefit slightly).  The real benefit is for the rest of the OpenStack community so others may consume the container images from one repo without bringing in the Ansible (or Kubernetes) bits.

Regards
-steve