[OpenStack-Infra] The future of our server naming patterns

Ricardo Carrillo Cruz ricardo.carrillo.cruz at gmail.com
Mon May 23 21:13:58 UTC 2016

> As discussed during the "Launch Node, Ansible and Puppet" summit
> session in Austin[1], we're making things unnecessarily hard on
> ourselves by insisting on having multiple servers in our inventory
> with the same name. In order to make server addition and replacement
> automation simpler, lets start using an ordinal suffix on server
> short names to differentiate them (we can still easily rely on DNS
> for their non-numbered convenience names).

++ on this.
As we are moving towards putting more and more automation and Ansible in
general,
putting ourselves in a position where we can't have two different
Gerrits/whatever with the same
name in the inventory will make give us a *lot* of peace of mind when
running plays, as we don't have
a test/staging/prod workflow and we just throw changes via code-review or
by hand.

Ricky