[OpenStack-Infra] binary package install - plan of attack

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue May 10 19:47:34 UTC 2016

On 11 May 2016 at 03:45, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:
> On 05/09/2016 11:11 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> [...]
>> Testing only dependencies should be in the test profile.
>>
>> We may want to have a source or similar named profile for
>> building-from-source of things, but I'd start with just the default
>> profile for the always-needed deps and test for CI test run
>> dependencies.
>
> John and myself just had a discussion on #openstack-swift about what are
> test dependencies and what not - see also
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/298313/6/other-requirements.txt
>
> John pointed out that all the requirements are needed for both testing
> and actual usage, so my marking of test is wrong in the change.
>
> So, I'll remove the test again on that one - do you agree, Robert?

I don't, but that doesn't really matter, what matters IMO is that
there is consistent usage across all of openstack.

If the desired usage is 'install everything always', don't use
profiles. If folk want the requirements to be useful for production,
then the default profile should be what will always be installed with
$projects code on production servers: gcc and devel headers are not
that in my experience.

So if *some* projects will want to differentiate, we should
differentiate consistently across the board, so that the muscle memory
folk build up is useful.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hpe.com>