[OpenStack-Infra] binary package install - plan of attack

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon May 9 08:29:59 UTC 2016

On 30 April 2016 at 09:00, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:
> Paul and myself discussed this morning how to move forward with binary
> package installation - the bindep-fallback.txt/other-requirements.txt story.
>
> I wrote up what we discussed and hope I didn't forgot anything here. Please
> review and comment - and sign up if you want to help.
>
> Andreas - who will board his plane to Washington in a few minutes
>
> Goals:
> 1. bindep-fallback.txt should be minimal and handle packages that the
>    majority of projects need.
> 2. Projects can use other-requirements to document their binary
>    requirements.
> 3. There are no apt-get/yum install commands in jenkins/jobs/
>
> Proposal:
>
> 1. Resolve with lifeless how the other-requirements.txt file should
>    look like, see:
>    nova: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/200672/
>    swift: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/298313/

I'm not sure what resolving is needed? the only outstanding question I
saw there was whether the default profile was always active - it is.

The issue I mention with bindep is that

foo[platform:dpkg test]

Will default on on dpkg platforms, because one of the profiles is
active - but it shouldn't, because there are other user profiles
listed. The rule should be 'A thing is in the default profile if all
the profiles listed are automatic profiles, otherwise it is not in the
default profile'.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hpe.com>