[OpenStack-Infra] Fun (important!) project: optimize Gerrit's nova git repo

Zaro zaro0508 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 00:47:39 UTC 2016

So I've been researching this and I've found that there is a
significant performance improvement after running git gc on this nova
repro.  Below are my results.

File sizes of repo as-is:
~/nova.git.orig$ du -hsx * | sort -r | head -10
6.4G objects
6.1M info
4.0K config
4.0K HEAD
382M refs
2.1M logs
 0B hooks
 0B description
 0B branches

Note that the repro as-is has already been thru a 'git repack -afd'.

File sizes after running 'jgit gc':
~/nova.git.test$ du -hsx * | sort -r | head -10
6.1M packed-refs
6.1M info
420M objects
4.0K config
4.0K HEAD
2.1M logs
 0B refs
 0B hooks
 0B description
 0B branches

The result is that the gc cleans up the objects (6.4G -> 420M) and
moves the loose ref objects from 'refs' dir to a 'packed-refs' file
(382M -> 6.1M).

Note that I'm using jgit because that's what Gerrit would use to do
the 'gc'.  The jgit version is 4.0.1.201506240215-r which is the one
that's packaged with our current version of Gerrit
(2.11.4-11-ga14450f) on review.o.o

Here I've tested the performance of the git clone, fetch and push
before and after running 'jgit gc':

`git clone`
------------
before:
real  3m30.163s
user 0m2.020s
sys   3m15.087s

after:
real  0m0.925s
user 0m0.406s
sys   0m0.621s

`git fetch origin stable/liberty`
---------------------------------
before:
real  0m4.271s
user 0m0.701s
sys   0m2.949s

after:
real  0m0.686s
user 0m0.348s
sys   0m0.307s

`git push origin HEAD:refs/for/master`
--------------------------------------
before:
real  0m36.454s
user 0m5.346s
sys   0m27.598s

after:
real  0m16.588s
user 0m11.731s
sys   0m3.218s

Note: I pushed the exact same change for both scenarios.

Conclusion:
The results indicate that it would be very advantages to run 'git gc'
for both file size reduction and improved performance. Below are
additional resources that I've found on the internet that seems to
back up my results.