[OpenStack-Infra] XenServer & RDO

cacook at quantum-sci.com cacook at quantum-sci.com
Wed Jan 27 21:56:48 UTC 2016

Has anyone been able to install RDO OpenStack over XenServer?

This page has no detail:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/XenServer/XenAndXenServer

The blog has no search and so is just a haystack to me:
https://www.openstack.org/blog/

The IRC channel is dead, with 1,000 users.

I managed to overcome 5 problems in packstack to get the install
completed, and all services were running, but then there's nothing at
192.168.0.2/dashboard.  httpd is running and I get the testing page at
192.168.0.2 .

So after a week of constant failure, I had to conclude that XenServer
just doesn't work with OS, so I blew it all away and reverted to pure
RDO.  Installed CentOS 7.1 Cloud host minimal new on the disk (EFI) and
booted.  Installed the RDO repo and packstack.  Ran packstack --allinone
as it says here:
https://www.rdoproject.org/install/quickstart/

... it completes a couple steps then asks for my root password.  I enter
it and it asks again.  And again...  when it dumps out with "Permission
denied."  A password failure.  Well I know root's password;  I logged
out and in again.  The log says "Permission denied" and journalctl has
nothing useful.

RDO is busted too?

Why are things so broken?  How does anyone succeed with this starting
from the ground up?