[OpenStack-Infra] stackalytics.openstack.org usage

Ilya Shakhat ishakhat at mirantis.com
Mon Jan 25 11:21:29 UTC 2016

Paul,

I wanted to see what else was needed from you to start working with
> stackalytics.openstack.org? Its been online for the last 6 weeks and
> seems to be
> going strong.  Current maintenance is pretty limited but would be
> interested in
> seeing what you need to do to the system to make it production ready.

How about monitoring? There are 3 types of things to keep an eye on:

   - front-end state - simple HTTP check that the server returns 200 and
   some data
   - data freshness - to check that the update was run during last couple
   days - on s.com this is not automated, but it's something that my
   colleagues care about
   - errors in logs - rarely, but changes in module config in default_data
   may result in errors causing the whole project being non-updated --
   currently monitored manually.

I still need to work on the drivelog stuff, I should have some time in the
> coming 2 weeks to finish that up.

I'm still hesitating whether driverlog should be a separate module, or it
is just an additional config for Stackalytics. There are things that
driverlog collects and Stackalytics does not (latest CI run on stable
branches) but I'm not sure if anyone uses this data. So if you think that
it would be easier to merge DriverLog into I would not disagree.

> I'd like to formalize stackatlyics.o.o and see what is needed to move it
> into
> production. This will allow us to move one step closer to 'Host
> Stackalytics Service'[1]

Ok. So the remaining steps are:

   - move the repo under openstack-infra
   - change repo ACL to add Infra cores (I'm really-really looking for
   other folks to review CRs)
   - move default_data.json to project_config
   - redirect s.com to s.o.o

BTW, I know there is not much documentation on Stackalytics. Do I need to
write some?

Best Regards,
Ilya

PS. Sorry for the late reply, the first email got lost during long
holidays...