[OpenStack-Infra] Wiki.o.o sustaining spam attack

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Fri Feb 26 17:25:18 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:08:18AM -0600, Jimmy McArthur wrote:
> Given the state of the wiki a the moment, I think taking the quickest path
> to get it fixed would be prudent. Is there a way we can get JP root access
> to this server, even temporarily? We get 25% of our website traffic (2
> million visitors) to the wiki. I realize we're all after the same thing, but
> spammers are not going to hit the dev environment, so there's really no way
> to tell if teh problem is fixed without actually working directly on the
> production machine. This should be a 30 minute fix.

I am still unclear what the 30min fix is. If really 30mins, then it shouldn't be
hard to get the fix into our workflow. Could somebody please elaborate.

If we are talking about deploying new versions of php or mediawiki manually, I
not be in-favor of this.  To me, while the attack sucks, we should be working on
2 fronts.  Getting the help needed to mitigate the attack, then adding the
changes into -infra workflow in parallel.

> I realize there is a lot of risk in giving ssh access to infra machines, but
> I think it's worth taking a look at either putting this machine in a place
> where a different level of admin could access it without giving away the
> keys to the entire OpenStack infrastructure or figuring out a way to set up
> credentials with varying levels of access.

As a note, all the work I've been doing to help with the attack hasn't require
SSH access for me to wiki.o.o.  I did need infra-root help to expose our
configuration safely.  I'd rather take some time to see what the fixes are,
having infra-root apply changes, then move them into puppet.

It also has been discussed to simply disable write access to the wiki if we
really want spamming to stop, obviously that will affect normal usage.