[OpenStack-Infra] Wiki.o.o sustaining spam attack

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at princessleia.com
Fri Feb 26 04:10:34 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 6:35 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2016-02-25 02:46:13 -0600 (-0600), JP Maxwell wrote:
>> Please be aware that you can now create accounts under the mobile
>> view in the wiki native user table. I just created an account for
>> JpMaxMan.  Not sure if this matters but wanted to make sure you
>> were aware.
>
> Oh, yes I think having a random garbage question/answer was in fact
> previously preventing account creation under the mobile view. We
> probably need a way to disable mobile view account creation as it
> bypasses OpenID authentication entirely.

So that's what it was doing! We'll have to tackle the mobile view issue.

Otherwise, quick update here:

The captcha didn't appear to help stem the spam tide. We'll want to
explore and start implementing some of the other solutions.

I did some database poking around today and it does seem like all the
users do have launchpad accounts and email addresses.