[OpenStack-Infra] [Shade]

David Cramer david at thingbag.net
Sun Feb 21 17:42:14 UTC 2016

Hi there,

We've encountered an edge case where Shade (via the os_server module in
Ansible 2.0) fails because the call to v2.0/floatingips/{id} is not
returning a status. We have tenants in different data centers. It is
only in one of these that we encounter this problem. In the others,
os_server is able to spin up servers and assign a floating ip just fine.

I am able to hack around the problem by modifying _utils.py
<https://github.com/openstack-infra/shade/blob/master/shade/_utils.py#L322>,
changing:

   status=ip['status']

to hardcode the status as ACTIVE:

   status='ACTIVE'

With that change, os_server works fine.

This may well be a problem with the configuration of Neutron in this
particular data center, and we've opened a support ticket with the cloud
team. However, I wonder if it's also advisable to modify Shade so that
normalize_neutron_floating_ips defaults to status='ACTIVE' if no status
is supplied from the call to v2.0/floatingips/{id}. I notice that
normalize_nova_floating_ips always returns status='ACTIVE' because nova
does not return a status.

We'll be happy to submit a patch, but wanted to check first to see if
there would be any side effects to consider.

Regards,
David