[OpenStack-Infra] Wiki.o.o sustaining spam attack

JP Maxwell jp at tipit.net
Thu Feb 18 05:05:06 UTC 2016

> Thanks for taking some time to look at this today! If we could find an
> open source captcha option, that may be part of the solution.
>
> Do you think you might have some time to also look at the other
> generalized Mediawiki proposals that Clint Byrum linked to earlier in
> the thread? I don't think we've really made the time to do an audit in
> this direction and starting to implement some of them may help.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Combating_spam

Yes - the first item is "Requiring log in and/or a CAPTCHA on certain
operations, such as edits, adding external links, or new user creation."

There are a number of captcha extensions:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit

is bundled with v1.18 and above which it looks like v.1.24 is what this
wiki is on judging by this meta tag:

So it may just be a matter of specifying what type of captcha is required
for edit operations.

I will install a local copy and have a closer look at this.  But, it seems
like a relatively easy and logical first step.  We can always ratchet
things up from there if it doesn't work.