[OpenStack-Infra] Moving wiki.o.o to OpenStackID login?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Feb 12 16:40:49 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-12 07:20:03 +0000 (+0000), Marton Kiss wrote:
[...]
> It is possible to automate account merge based on emails, but it
> requires much more development from our side. (I think even gerrit
> have the email address somewhere internally)

Well, we're talking about the wiki here. Not everyone using
wiki.openstack.org uses review.openstack.org, and when logging into
Mediawiki via OpenID you're not required to provide an E-mail
address unless you want to use its E-mail notification features.
Also Launchpad lets users keep their E-mail addresses private, and
many of them are set that way (we discovered a bunch when trying to
migrate Infra bugs to Storyboard and there are no doubt lots more
associated with wiki.o.o accounts... it may even be a default LP
behavior?). Further, E-mail addresses in people's
OpenStackID/Foundation Member profiles are not guaranteed to be the
same as in their Launchpad profiles, and often drift over time even
if they started out the same.

This is why I refer to any attempt to map up accounts as a "best
effort" because my off-the-cuff estimate is that it will probably be
around 50% effective. Given the above challenges, I question whether
that's enough benefit to enough users to make it a worthwhile
expenditure of effort vs. simply letting everyone know they need to
log in via Launchpad OpenID and then go to
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-openid
and add their OpenStackID manually if they want to keep the same
account after the transition period.