[OpenStack-Infra] Translation check website

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at princessleia.com
Wed Feb 3 21:33:31 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 12:02 AM, Ying Chun Guo <guoyingc at cn.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi, infra team
>
> The puppet module is proposed to
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/puppet-translation_checksite/.
> Please help to review.
>
> Below are some follow up questions.
> Hope to get inputs from infra experts.
>
> 1. How to handle user accounts for openstack instance ?
> The puppet module has set up an admin account with a configurable password.
> Do we need to protect the admin password ?

We do need to protect the administrator account. This will be a
password we store in the hiera key/value store and only infra root
will have access to it by default. As you can see for something line
Zanata, we also have private data that's pulled in from hiera:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/system-config/tree/manifests/site.pp#n1061

When a patch is up for launching the server itself, I can get this
password added for you.

> I hope to have some tester accounts only for testing.
> The tester accounts may be shared within I18n team.

I think starting out it makes sense to set up at least a demo (default
with DevStack) account that everyone on the i18n team who needs it has
access to will have the login credentials for.

We can see how that goes, and then add other accounts if there is a
need, but it's not clear to me at this stage why additional accounts
are required.

> 2. What's the hardware config of the translation_checksite server ?
> After testing, we recommend a 8GB memory to support the set up of openstack.

That's fine, we'll use an 8G node.

> 3. Do we need to deal with the health check or monitoring of openstack
> instance ?

This has not been determined yet.

We can use the passive monitoring with Cacti
(http://cacti.openstack.org) that we use for most of our systems, but
if you want to do a more active health check of this server you'll
likely need to write or leverage some tooling that's DevStack-specific
to track whatever you want to track.

> 4. The puppet module has two cron jobs and a list of parameters.
> I don't know how to configure the parameters.
> Are there a web UI to configure ?

I haven't had a close look at the Puppet module yet (I'm traveling
this week), but you will want to create a custom .pp file in
system-config under modules/openstack_project/manifests/ with the name
translations_checksite.pp or similar that has the values we want for
our own instance. For example, here's the custom .pp file for our
Zanata configuration:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/system-config/tree/modules/openstack_project/manifests/translate.pp