[OpenStack-Infra] Final Thoughts on Internship

Kien Ha kienha9922 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 23:58:51 UTC 2016

Hello,

Today is the final day of my internship and so I have decided to leave my
thoughts of working on Jenkins Job Builder (JJB) and with the community.

When I first started working on JJB, I had very basic programming knowledge
and with limited to none knowledge on Git, GitHub, and Gerrit. My goal for
the internship was to expand my knowledge and gain some work experience in
an open source environment. Over the last 3 months of working on the JJB
project, I have acquired essential skills such as using Git and Gerrit,
ways to problem solve, and improve my programming skills.

I have also gained valuable experience on how the open source community
work together. Because of the nature of having to review patches on Gerrit
before merging any patches into the main branch, I was able to improve and
write better code from reviews given by experts and more experienced
programmers. Their perspectives and thoughts when problems arises were
valuable as more often than not, I would have not thought of or considered.
I like JJB’s documentation since it is often consistent, and concise. This
allows me to rely on the documentation while I am working.The open source
community has been friendly and helpful whenever I needed help. They are
always willing to help wherever they can.

I think however, that patches are slow to be reviewed on. There are many
patches that are weeks old. Few patches are months, and even a year old.

Working on JJB, I have attained more than my goals and expectations as I
have become a core reviewer of JJB. I plan on continuing to contribute
wherever I can after this internship is over.

Thank you JJB team, OpenStack, OpenDayLight, and the rest of the community
for the internship. It has been a great experience.

Attached below is a link to my JJB project proposal document with a
complete table of plugins that I have worked on and weekly work log found
at the bottom of the document [1].

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17AHluxqiBFcsTCkpyekDOFSTahX50pXFmQgjlK-PoEQ/edit