[OpenStack-Infra] Development environments for infra's puppet modules

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at princessleia.com
Thu Aug 25 15:55:44 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 7:48 AM, James E. Blair <corvus at inaugust.com> wrote:
> Joshua Hesketh <joshua.hesketh at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> There's probably further discussions here but I don't have enough knowledge
>> in this area to comment further. The aim though should be to make it easy
>> to bootstrap a server with the module you're developing on so you can
>> easily verify and debug your changes.
>
> Don't forget the documentation we already have on this subject:
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/sysadmin.html#making-a-change-in-puppet

This is what I've been using for years. Load up a new instance in a
cloud or locally on KVM, follow the documentation and test the change
I'm writing/reviewing. It's not all-encompassing (multi-node
interactions are still time-consuming to test properly), and it's not
fast, but it has been effective for most changes. Plus, it doesn't
require maintaining anything, those docs have stayed the same and
accurate for years.

That said, I think your idea has merit. Making testing changes faster
and easier is always helpful, as long someone is willing to do the
work to maintain it (and it doesn't turn into our long defunct
"Running your own CI infrastructure" docs). From where I'm sitting
Vagrant seems as good a way as any.