[OpenStack-Infra] Development environments for infra's puppet modules

Joshua Hesketh joshua.hesketh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 11:59:14 UTC 2016

Hey all,

We should look for a way to make developing, debugging and testing our
puppet modules locally easier and more consistent.
Short of bootstrapping an entire clone of openstack-infra, how do
developers currently set up an environment to investigate how a puppet
module behaves? This brings me to my first question:
1) Do we want to find/provide a way to set up a consistent development
environment?
Vagrant could be a useful way of providing a consistent development
environment for those working on infra's puppet modules. This comes up in
light of https://review.openstack.org/#/c/355273 which was split out from a
larger change due to debate over any vagrant precedent. This change was in
turn based upon this documented example of simulating OpenStack Infra
environments for testing:
https://krotscheck.net/2016/06/01/how-to-simulate-an-openstack-infra-slave.html
Currently the only module (that a quick grep found for me) providing a
vagrant file is puppet-storyboard.
2) Is Vagrant a good fit for this? Otherwise should we consider an
ansible-playbook to bootstrap an environment?
3) Where do we store and document such procedures (for example, in the
puppet repos themselves, as a guide somewhere, links to pastebin scripts
etc)
There's probably further discussions here but I don't have enough knowledge
in this area to comment further. The aim though should be to make it easy
to bootstrap a server with the module you're developing on so you can
easily verify and debug your changes.
Thoughts?
Cheers,Josh