[OpenStack-Infra] Help with tagging releases for networking sub-projects

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Wed Sep 30 15:56:52 UTC 2015

On 09/30/2015 11:32 AM, Kyle Mestery wrote:
> Hi infra folks!
>
> I'm sending this email because I'm having trouble tagging and releasing
> some networking sub-projects to PyPi. For some, I've had success. See [1]
> as an example of one where I tagged the 1.0.0 release of networking-onos
> and it pushed to PyPi OK. For another, Octavia, I've never been able to get
> a PyPi release to happen. If you look [2], it's not there, just a stub
> version the Octavia folks put up. For Octavia, they had some issues with
> their PyPi project when I pushed 0.5.0 [3], so I pushed a 0.5.1 [4] after
> they addressed that but it still never showed up on PyPi. I've run into a
> similar problem with networking-ale-omniswitch. I wanted to release 1.0.0,
> but again, the push of the tag to gerrit shows up fine in git [5] but not
> on PyPi [6].
>
> Any idea why some of these seem to work and others don't?
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Kyle
>
> [1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/networking-onos/1.0.0
> [2] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/octavia/0.0.1.dev384
> [3] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/octavia/tag/?id=0.5.0
> [4] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/octavia/tag/?id=0.5.1
> [5]
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/networking-ale-omniswitch/tag/?id=1.0.0
> [6] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/networking-ale-omniswitch

For you as a member of the neutron-release gerrit group to successfully
push a tag and have it appear on pypi, at least 3 things need to be in
place:

1) the neutron release gerrit group needs to have tagging permissions on
the repo. This is accomplished with the following stanza in the gerrit
acl file for the repo:

[access "refs/tags/*"]
pushSignedTag = group neutron-release

2) the project on pypi has to name openstackci as an owner of the pypi
project:

 Package Index Owner: openstackci, <other owners>

This one does: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/networking-onos/1.0.0

This one does not:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/networking-ale-omniswitch/2015.1.2

3) the project in project-config has to have the publish-to-pypi job
configured to run on the repo:

This one does:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config/tree/zuul/layout.yaml#n2691

This one does not:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config/tree/zuul/layout.yaml#n2923

Once the projects you need to tag have all three requirements in place
the tagging should work. If it does not please return with examples and
we will continue.

Thanks Kyle,
Anita.