[OpenStack-Infra] Magnum Gate nodepool

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Wed Sep 2 21:54:22 UTC 2015

Infra Team,

OpenStack Magnum seeks to expand the scope of the functional tests we run. Our tests involve the creation of magnum bays, which are composed of nova instances that we create through heat. We will need to create and delete a dozen or so virtual machines (nested within the devstack gate test environment) through the course of the functional tests. We are concerned because creating this many nova instances will take time, and we don’t want to hog the test resources for long periods, and we want our tests to run in a timely fashion.

Rackspace has offered to allocate a pool of several OnMetal servers for use by Magnum, above any beyond the resources that are in the main resource pool. Ideally, Magnum would have the ability to tag our tests in a way so they are run on this resource pool. This would speed up execution by eliminating the nested virtualization needed to create the nova instances that make up the bays. The benefit to other OpenStack projects is that it would free up the resources we are currently consuming, which could reduce contention, and allow other jobs to run sooner.

My questions:

1) Is this sort of a setup possible and practical?

2) How long would it (probably) take to get this set up, assuming adequate participation on our side?

3) Who would we want to work with to get this done properly?

Thanks,

Adrian