[OpenStack-Infra] Remove a branch and a tag

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Fri Oct 30 15:36:17 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 04:15:10PM +0100, Guillaume Thouvenin wrote:
> Hello team,
>
>  By mistakes I created a tag but on the wrong commit on 2 of our projects.
> We don't have the rights to remove them so I'm asking if it is possible to
> remove two tags that are:
>
> On the project: https://github.com/openstack/fuel-plugin-influxdb-grafana
> I need to remove the tag 0.7.2 and also need to remove the branch 0.7.2
>
> On the project:
> https://github.com/openstack/fuel-plugin-elasticsearch-kibana
> I need to remove the tag 0.7.3
>
> Sorry for my mistakes,
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Guillaume

IIRC, we won't be able to delete the tag. Since we'd also have to delete it in
all our mirrors (EG: git.o.o). So, you're best to revert up to the next release
number and deprecate the branch / tag in your repo.

I'm trying to find a conversation clarkb had a week a go or so about this, but
cannot find it ATM.  That said, we likely need to document this some place, as
you are not the first person to ask this.

Additionally, you should likely remove yourself / team from the release group
and switch to the releases[1] project. This way mistakes won't creep into your
release process.

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/releases/