[OpenStack-Infra] Moving a project to OpenStack Gerrit

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Nov 30 16:06:53 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-30 08:28:07 +0100 (+0100), Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 2015-11-30 07:58, Sandro Mathys wrote:
[...]
> > Also, I learned that GitHub enables redirects that would serve
> > our purpose, but only if the repo is moved (rather than forked
> > or recreated). Is it possible to move midonet/midonet to
> > openstack/midonet before turning openstack/midonet into a mirror
> > of OpenStack gerrit's openstack/midonet repo?
>
> AFAIK we cannot move,

In GitHub's terminology, this is more accurately called a "transfer"
(since control is being switched to a different organization rather
than "moving" to a new repository name within the same
organization). Transfers require that the party performing the
modification be an administrator in both organizations at least
temporarily, and due to the complexity and coordination involved the
OpenStack Infrastructure team has agreed that it won't support
GitHub transfers from outside organizations to those it maintains
during import.