[OpenStack-Infra] Moving a project to OpenStack Gerrit

Sandro Mathys sandro at midokura.com
Mon Nov 30 06:58:36 UTC 2015

Hi,

We (MidoNet) would like to move to OpenStack infrastructure rather
sooner than later. As part of this, we'd obviously like to move to
OpenStack gerrit, from GitHub/GerritHub. However, we're looking for a
way to do so with as little disruption as possible. Most notably, we'd
like our upstream repo to keep working (in read-only, at least). Can
this be achieved somehow?

Looking for an answer, I stumbled upon the "upstream" setting in
project-config/gerrit/projects.yaml but the information I could find
on that is very shallow. Can you explain what exactly this does,
please? i.e. is the upstream repo only used for the initial import or
will it be kept as upstream repo?

Also, I learned that GitHub enables redirects that would serve our
purpose, but only if the repo is moved (rather than forked or
recreated). Is it possible to move midonet/midonet to
openstack/midonet before turning openstack/midonet into a mirror of
OpenStack gerrit's openstack/midonet repo?

Thanks,
Sandro