[OpenStack-Infra] [Testing Puppet Modules] Issues with beaker and bundler gem versions

Maite Balhester mbalhest at thoughtworks.com
Thu Nov 5 12:35:04 UTC 2015

Hi Colleen, thanks for the reply.

I was thinking this issue was on bundle, but this beaker update apparently
fixed the problem.

Thank you again and regards,

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 10:58 PM, Colleen Murphy <colleen at gazlene.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 3:01 AM, Colleen Murphy <colleen at gazlene.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Maite Balhester <
>> mbalhest at thoughtworks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey folks, let me introduce myself first, I’m Maitê and I’m currently
>>> working on adding tests in the puppet modules with my team.
>>>
>>> Last week we started to face errors in gate jobs regarding to the
>>> fog-google version (
>>> http://logs.openstack.org/28/220228/9/check/gate-openstackci-beaker-trusty-dsvm/7ca0fc1/console.html
>>> ).
>>>
>>> As you can see in this link (
>>> https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/BKR-564) this error was fixed in
>>> beaker > 2.24.0, but somehow the bundler 1.10.6 is not fetching the latest
>>> beaker version (actually it is fetching 2.24.0 version).
>>>
>>> We can fix the beaker version to 2.27.0 in the Gemfiles for the modules
>>> (in our tests this worked fine), but it is not the best approach, since we
>>> have a lot of modules and this can be easily outdated.
>>>
>> I /think/ this should be fixed[1], and hopefully the fix will be released
>> soon. The dependency resolution is really confusing here.
>>
>>> Another point of concern is that vagrant 1.7.x expects bundler (<=
>>> 1.10.5, >= 1.5.2), (https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/6158)
>>> and even if we fix the version, running the tests with bundler 1.10.6 will
>>> probably will probably break the job.
>>>
>> This also looks like it was fixed[2] in beaker so again we just need to
>> await a release. I'll try to poke the right people during US west coast
>> workday hours.
>>
>>> If we fix the beaker version, we must fix the bundler version to 1.10.5,
>>> and I personally don’t like to specify versions because it is hard to
>>> maintain and it can get easily updated. But I don’t see other way to deal
>>> with this subject.
>>>
>>> What do you think? Do we have a better way to deal with this situation?
>>>
>> A good resource for these types of issues is #puppet or #puppet-dev on
>> freenode, or the puppet-users or puppet-dev mailing lists. Module testing
>> sits on the boundary between puppet users questions and puppet developers
>> questions so either channel or list is appropriate to ask.
>>
>>> Thanks for your attentions and regards,
>>>
>>> Colleen
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/puppetlabs/beaker/commit/3625c573e8a59ca634ef2b5d6d0ae9d021e8d2d5
>>
>> [2] https://github.com/puppetlabs/beaker/pull/1003
>>
> beaker 2.28.0 was released today, and rechecking
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/220228/ shows that the gem dependency
> errors seem to have gone away.
>
> Colleen

Maitê BalhesterConsultant DeveloperEmailmbalhest at thoughtworks.comTelephone+55
11 95262 4318 <+55+11+95262+4318>[image: ThoughtWorks]
<http://www.thoughtworks.com/?utm_campaign=mait%C3%AA-balhester-signature&utm_medium=email&utm_source=thoughtworks-email-signature-generator>