[OpenStack-Infra] Better Corporate CLA management

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Mar 23 20:15:55 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015, at 11:06 AM, Jimmy Mcarthur wrote:
> Hi all - The OpenStack Foundation has already worked up at least a
> portion of this solution by allowing one or more users with an
> OpenStackID to be set as a CCLA Admin for their organization. The CCLA
> Admin can designate one or more CCLA teams for their company. And then
> each team can be comprised of multiple members. Members can be assigned
> as long as they have a Foundation Membership and have a GerritID. If
> they don't, they will be prompted to register and get a GerritID.
>
> We also regularly run an ingest from Gerrit to retrieve Last Commit,
> Gerrit ID, based on the Foundation Member email address. It may not be
> possible, but perhaps we could offer the same check that we offer for
> Foundation Members. Just a True/False if the user is a valid CCLA member.
I think there are two problems with this approach. The biggest one is
that it makes signing a CLA harder for users. They will now be presented
with multiple choices, which do they choose? and in both cases they or
someone else would have needed to fiddle bits on their foundation
accounts. We field a large number of questions around the existing
process and this will only make this more problematic. The other issue
is I am not sure that Gerrit provides enough info to the remote CLA
validator to make a distinction between ICLA and CCLA signing.

Ideally we would change the existing process with one that is simpler
for users since the cost of changing is non zero and there is plenty of
confusion around the process already.