[OpenStack-Infra] Scheduling a monthly meeting

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jun 16 12:24:20 UTC 2015

Tom Fifield wrote:
> A couple of things I'm working on at the moment would like to meet on a
> monthly basis.
>
> From irc-meetings: " Options for the `frequency` are `weekly`,
> `biweekly-even`, and  `biweekly-odd` at the moment.", and in
> yaml2ical/recurrence.py [1] it's pretty clear that there's no support
> for Monthly.
>
> So ... first question: is there some enormous trap that means adding
> support to the code for monthly meetings is best avoided/really hard?

It is somewhat by design. "Once-a-month" meetings basically consume as
much meeting space as "weekly" ones in terms of the conflicts they
generate. So not supporting it encourages people to pick biweekly
options, which just consume biweekly space. I guess we could support
"once-every-4-weeks" but that would likely be confusing. Better pick a
biweekly spot and skip meetings liberally.

> According to ICAL examples[2], it looks like monthly is basically done
> as based on a day, and a week-of-month position:
> [...]

Right, there is nothing technical preventing to encode it in ICAL -- it
just generates so much conflicts that we so far preferred to not offer
the option.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)