[OpenStack-Infra] Stackforge projects: "Manila Image Project" and licensing considerations

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Jan 16 18:37:54 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Dave Walker's message of 2015-01-16 05:13:14 -0800:
> On 13 January 2015 at 18:28, Csaba Henk <csaba at redhat.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > We (Manila developers) plan to start a new side-project that would
> > be hosted on Stackforge. It's tentatively named "Manila Image Project",
> > although it would not necessarily be Manila specific.
> >
> > It's aim is to provide infrastructure for building custom VM images.
> <SNIP>
>
> At risk of going off topic, I am curious how this fits under the
> Manila project scope.  My understanding of Manila is that it is a File
> Shares service.  This seems to have an odd overlap with creating VM
> images.
>
> Can you point me to the design or blueprint for this need, so I can
> better understand?

I think it's quite a bit on-topic. Manila is just another agent that
needs to be deployed somewhere, and you can avoid any licensing concerns
by providing the same level of install instructions as all of the other
agents that OpenStack projects provide.

If you do want it to be more turn-key, I'd recommend producing
diskimage-builder elements to build on one of the minimal distros that
exist, and distribute those elements. That's basically how Heat has
operated, and you can probably look at how Trove and Sahara handle their
agents as well for more insight into this.

Leave image distribution to the Linux distros -- just help users
customize the images as needed.