[OpenStack-Infra] Stackforge projects: "Manila Image Project" and licensing considerations

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jan 13 18:47:37 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-13 18:28:04 +0000 (+0000), Csaba Henk wrote:
[...]
> What we are puzzled on is the license. This is something we have
> to figure out before we think of setting up the project. In
> general it's understood that Apache License (v2) is preferred.
> Question: is that a strict requirement on Stackforge or just a
> suggestion?
[...]

As far as I know we've no formalized license policy for StackForge
hosting, though I think there's an assumption that it needs to be
redistributable under an OSI/DFSG/FSF recognized license variant.
Certainly hosting a derivative work of software which is under a
more "copyleft" license brings those additional license terms with
it, and seems like a reasonably pragmatic choice to me (compared
with the alternative of reinventing the wheel entirely in a
clean-room effort to avoid the original license terms).

http://ci.openstack.org/stackforge.html