[OpenStack-Infra] Spot instances for CI

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Thu Dec 17 14:52:07 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 09:24:33AM +0000, Jean-Daniel Bonnetot wrote:
> Hi infra,
>
> You probably know that the foundation need more ressources for the CI.
> What do you think about pushing spot instances?
> It could be a great solution for our CI and make a smaller step for providers to give ressources « when they can ».
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/104883/

Could you explain why this would be great for CI? I've found there is a fine
line when optimizing the CI pipeline in OpenStack.  We have a pretty complex
setup at the moment, and I recently found out the hard way, over optimization can
be a bad thing.

For the most part, I think the work AJaeger is leading to condense some jobs is
the right approach.  I've even talked to some people about using docker in some
cases to help increase capacity.

Either way, interested to hear more about this.