[OpenStack-Infra] checking on unofficial IRC channel name

Allison Randal allison at lohutok.net
Thu Dec 3 19:21:40 UTC 2015

Can you see any potential problem with a group of OpenStack contributors
creating an unofficial social channel called ##openstack-casual? We
currently have a random group of people socializing on a channel called
##flyingcircus, which at some point in the past was Monty's team at HP
("Monty's Python Flying Circus"). The channel membership is now
distributed broadly across several companies, including some people who
worked for Monty at some company, but also a lot of people who never
did. (Curiously, the channel no longer includes Monty, so it has some
sort of strange, lingering, ghost of a purpose.)

We don't talk about OpenStack work, that happens in the logged official
channels. But, we do talk about meeting for hacking days in coffee
shops, travel, movies, laptops/servers we wish we owned, etc, etc. It's
not a private channel, anyone who shows up is welcome, but we also don't
go out of our way to advertise it.

Sean Dague suggested that maybe ##openstack-casual would be a better
name for the channel, and the idea seems to be gaining traction in the
group. Just want to check in first and make sure it wouldn't cause any
problems.

Thanks,
Allison