[OpenStack-Infra] [openstack-infra][puppet-pip]

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Aug 12 17:06:31 UTC 2015

On 2015-08-12 17:10:49 +0200 (+0200), Ricardo Carrillo Cruz wrote:
[...]
> Anyway, I think Jeremy mentioned to me that the creation of
> puppet-pip class was to manage the python3-python2 differences for
> pip paths (Jeremy can you chime in?)

Looking back at the history[1] the _original_ intent was in fact to
have a class where we could move our installation of the python-pip
distro package to avoid a duplicate resource declaration error[2].

It's existence later allow us to more easily duplicate the pip
package provider in Puppet with a "pip3" one that would do the right
thing for platforms which needed special handling to support
co-installed Python2 and Python3 interpreters[3]. If you look at my
change which guts it[4] from after we moved our Py3K testing off
Ubuntu Precise to Trusty (looks like it never got approved and then
went into merge conflict) there wouldn't have been much left of the
module once it went in.

> The manage pip.conf functionality was added afterwards (I think it
> was Yolanda who added that), but the main intention for this class
> was to install pip (which doesn't work btw).

This class did at one point install pip for us, though that's not
been the case for a couple years[5]. More recently, it has been
extended[6] to manage pip.conf files, as you point out, though
there's no reason we couldn't relocate that elsewhere.

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/puppet-pip/log/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/10149
[3] https://review.openstack.org/32451
[4] https://review.openstack.org/152217