[OpenStack-Infra] [support at freenode.net: [freenode.net #158989] leguin.freenode.net and the å of doom]

Clint Adams clint at gcfm.net
Sat Aug 8 17:16:45 UTC 2015

----- Forwarded message from Marien Zwart via RT <support at freenode.net> -----

On Sat Jul 11 01:20:53 2015, clint at gcfm.net wrote:

  leguin is transmitting its MOTD (containing "Umeå" twice) in ISO 8859-1.
  This is causing havoc with one of OpenStack's python scripts, which is
  happy with all the other servers that are sending valid UTF-8.

  I think we would rejoice if someone could run iconv on the motd file
  or whatever is necessary to normalize the character encoding sent to
  clients.

Thanks, fixed. Looks like the handful of other ircds with non-ascii motds are
already utf-8.

Although obviously there is any number of other places the script may encounter
non-utf8 provided to it by other users connected to freenode, so you might want
to fix the script to be more tolerant as well. Otherwise things like users with
non-ascii realnames can DoS the script, depending on what it does.

--
Marien Zwart (marienz on freenode).

----- End forwarded message -----