[OpenStack-Infra] Discussion about scalable election tools

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Fri Apr 3 17:15:28 UTC 2015

Problem Statement: OpenStack is growing, the election tools we use for
gathering nominations and communicating status of nominations, the
current workflow can be found on this wikipage:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Election_Officiating_Guidelines is
unable to be accessed by election officials and the electorate in a
clear way. The process we use for actually conducting the polls is fine.
We need to discuss and agree on a new workflow for posting
self-nominations and platforms for elections.

Does anyone have  input on tools that we might use to meet these
requirements for self nomination and platform management in elections?
Requirements:
* archivable
* public
* unable to be edited once posted
* clear differentiation between governed and ungoverned elections
* candidates can self-nominate
* low barrier to entry for tools, candidates shouldn't be restricted due
to lack of knowledge of tools

Reference:
* Current voting workflow:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Election_Officiating_Guidelines
* Condorcet: http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts,
Anita.