[OpenStack-Infra] A little bootstrap help with setting up a 3rd party CI

Bob Hansen hansenb at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 2 14:10:30 UTC 2015

Am in the process of setting up a 3rd part CI setup for the project I'm
working on. There is a wealth of information out there, unfortunately much
of it has disclaimers that it may be out of date, especially since there
has been a refactoring of the puppet modules.

I tried to follow the instructions here [1], which takes me to the puppet
master configuration here [2], which has a disclaimer and fails on the
first puppet apply step (using --noop). I get these things, which concern
me:

Warning: Scope(Class[Puppetdb::Master::Config]): Could not look up
qualified variable 'puppetdb::disable_ssl'; class puppetdb has not been
evaluated

Error: /Stage[main]/Iptables/Service[iptables]: Could not evaluate: Could
not find init script or upstart conf file for 'iptables-persistent'

Notice: Unable to connect to puppetdb server (puppetdb.openstack.org:8081):
SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server certificate B:
certificate verify failed: [unable to get local issuer certificate
for /CN=puppetdb.openstack.org]

There is an earlier thread on this message above that points to a blog,
which also has the disclaimer that important steps do not work due to the
refactoring.

I've had some success by building this by hand; Jenkins server, Gerrit
Plugin, listening to the feed and triggering builds,  but I do not want to
build this hand.

So, a little help is requested to get me started. Right now I'm just
playing on my test setup, so I'd like to just get Puppet/Nodepool/Zuul and
Jenkins (using JJB) somewhat working prior to actually setting up a
production system.

Many thanks for any pointers

[1] http://ci.openstack.org/running-your-own.html
[2] http://ci.openstack.org/puppet.html#id2