[OpenStack-Infra] Naming for project-specific external test accounts

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Nov 18 00:21:54 UTC 2014

When we put together our third-party CI account naming scheme a few
months ago, discussion was mostly focused on how to avoid confusion
on official projects where we have upwards of 50 systems providing
feedback on a proposed change. Requirements like "include the name
of your company and subsystem being tested" or "the account name
can't include the name of the project" make sense there, but we have
another somewhat unrelated use case for these accounts which also
needs some consideration.

Consider a project whose community collaboratively maintains a
single external test system to provide feedback about things that we
won't or can't easily test in our infrastructure... I've seen a lot
of confusion around how those accounts are allowed to be named.
Consider the following existing accounts as examples:

    Compass CI
    Docker CI
    Fuel CI
    MagnetoDB CI
    Puppet CI
    Sahara Hadoop Cluster CI

I've proposed https://review.openstack.org/135050 in an attempt to
reach some consensus that for this particular use case, having an
account like "YourProject CI" for your community to use in reporting
test results on your project is acceptable. I'm bringing this up now
because we have somewhere around half a dozen outstanding account
requests (some more than a month old) matching this particular
pattern and I'd like to be able to just go ahead and take care of
them, but I don't want to go upsetting anyone over the possibility
that we've violated our hard-and-fast rules for third-party CI
account naming.