[OpenStack-Infra] Moving some projects around

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Wed Mar 26 17:50:49 UTC 2014

We've been discussing the thoroughly interesting problem of project
taxonomy recently, and I'd like to describe what I think we've mostly
decided we should do and make sure we're on the same page.  If we are,
I'll invite the TC to weigh in and if they think we're completely wrong,
we can work on some policy.

Move the following projects to the openstack-attic/ org (because they
are no longer active projects though they had some degree of
officialness about them at the time they were active):

 * openstack-dev/openstack-qa
 * openstack/melange
 * openstack/python-melangeclient
 * openstack/openstack-chef

We should make these read-only as well.

Leave openstack-dev/sandbox where it is.  It's a useful tool for new
openstack developers and third party CI systems -- it should be
considered part of the openstack development process.

Move openstack/python-openstackclient to stackforge.  It's apparently a
project without an official program.  (Incidentally, this makes me sad.)

Leave openstack/gantt where it is, but make it read-only.  The current
state of development is considered a dead end, but there is likely to be
a future attempt (and therefore future openstack/gantt repository).
Rather than rename it and rename it back, or rename it to something like
"openstack-attic/gant-mark-one", we think mothballing it and then
replacing the entire branch with a merge commit for the second forklift
attempt (like we did with keystone-lite) is the least silly option and
actually faithfully represents development history.

-Jim