[OpenStack-Infra] Announcing a new infrastructure project, Vinz code review system.

Philip Schwartz philip.schwartz at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Mar 18 00:07:37 UTC 2014

On 3/17/14, 5:33 PM, "Sean Dague" <sean at dague.net> wrote:

>Have you considered other open source efforts to build upon, like
>phabricator? That came up on IRC a few nights ago by Ryan Lane. And it
>seems like a lot of mileage could be gained from contributing to an
>existing upstream, even if it's an alternative one to gerrit.

I have nothing against starting from a known base if there is something
that meets a majority of our needs and can be easily enhanced. With that
said, I would not feel that Phabricator would fit into that. It is not bad
at what it does, but happens to be a very odd PHP app. From my experience
with PHP (which is vast), server side applications that do any
functionality that is beyond being just a web app tend to have poor code
bases and very strange hacks to get around the fastcgi or mod_php sandbox
that PHP runs in.

I have been looking at a lot of things that all are code review related
and also looked at review board as suggested earlier. All have elements
that I like and do not like and none of them meet the needs of the
OpenStack project completely. Personally I feel that making an attempt at
meeting our needs while leveraging external libraries is good idea, and
using things that applications like review board use and some of the
libraries they use is a good starting point.

- Philip Schwartz