[OpenStack-Infra] Cloudwatt Spamming: Fwd: Jenkins build is back to normal : iaas-cw_console_master-test #2

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Fri Jul 25 19:26:04 UTC 2014

On 07/25/2014 11:14 AM, Yves-Gwenaël Bourhis wrote:
> Le 25/07/2014 16:07, Anita Kuno a écrit :
>> On 07/25/2014 07:13 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
>>> Cloudwatt seems to have some jenkins environment up and is spamming a
>>> ton of people with Jenkins messages.
>>>
>>> There is no contact info that looks real here, so I don't know how to
>>> direct connect them. Can anyone in infra / 3rd party testing reach out
>>> to them?
>>>
>>> 	-Sean
> [...]
>> Replying to put this in the next poster's email inbox.
>>
>> Anita.
>
> Hi all, sorry for the Jenkins Spam, it was my fault.
>
> So to prevent the same thing to happen to others who would be setting up
> a new Jenkins Job, I will explain how to reproduce my mistake so that
> others "do not" reproduce it :-)
>
> In Cloudwatt, we have our own fork of horizon (in fact it's horizon with
> our own CSS theme, some django-cms panel added on the side, plus the
> patches me and my team submitted in horizon which are not yet merged
> (because they are still in review)), and we continuously sync with upstream.
>
> I added a Jenkins Job to automate unittests to have our own CI.
> I configured the Job to send a notification e-mail to individuals who
> have committed changes which lead to a broken build, so that people of
> my team who introduce a bug get notified.
>
> Now what happened: Our "master" branch was not already synced with
> horizon's upstream version, and if you pull a horizon version which is
> more than 5 days old you'll notice that dependencies pulled by
> "(test-)requirements.txt" will make unittests fail (horizon has had
> recent updates to fix this).
>
> When you create a new Job in Jenkins, it seems like all the commits are
> considered by Jenkins as new commits for this  particular job, and this
> means that our Jenkins thought "all" the commits in horizon history
> introduced a failing test... and Jenkins has sent an email... to all
> horizon contributers in history!
>
> As soon as the branch I was testing the upstream merge was committed in
> our master branch (to fix tests), another mail was sent... to the whole
> community...
> This happened because Jenkins saw all commits...(Mummy, I'm famous now,
> I accidentally spamed the whole OpenStack community...)
>
> To fix this, I removed the Jenkins option to send a mail to all people
> who committed changes, but only to my team.
>
> Also, if you test a merge in a branch, then commit this merge in master
> with '-ff-only' (to prevent another merge commit), well then... Jenkins
> sees ALL the commits as new... not only the first merge commit.
>

> So please all accept my apologies for this... I really feel stupid about
> this...

Hi Yves:

We all make mistakes. Thank you for taking the time to detail your
situation, especially the part that resulted in the spam as well as what
you did to ensure you didn't continue to spam.

The decision that sets people apart in open source communities is their
willingness to take responsibility for their actions, including their
mistakes. It is tough to do, especially in public but I'll tell you, you
sure get a lot of respect for doing so.

You have my respect.

Thanks Yves,
Anita.