[OpenStack-Infra] How to get new package requirements into the CI system using a PPA and EPEL?

Ken Giusti kgiusti at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 12:43:19 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 6:52 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2014-07-15 09:55:03 -0400 (-0400), Ken Giusti wrote:
> [...]
>> From a quick 'grep' of the sources, it appears as if Pypy requires
>> a PPA.  It's configured in
>> modules/openstack_project/manifests/slave_common.pp).
> [...]
>
> It's worth noting that the PPAs for Python 3.3 and PyPy were added
> as an interim solution because Ubuntu 14.04 LTS was going to have
> them and was (at the time) just around the corner. Now that we have
> Ubuntu Trusty nodes we're shortly moving to Python 3.4 and PyPy
> testing on those so that we'll be able to drop our ongoing use of
> those PPAs.

Like Py3K and PyPy, this PPA would only be needed in the short term -
the Apache Qpid developers are in the process of getting Proton
included in the Debian repos:
http://mentors.debian.net/package/qpid-proton

>  Is Proton testing a broadly interesting thing to many
> OpenStack subprojects in the same way that Py3K and PyPy compliance
> are?

Only oslo.messaging would require Proton dev library support in order
to provide messaging based on the AMQP 1.0 protocol standard.   Proton
wouldn't be directly visible to other subprojects - it would merely
provide another messaging transport ("amqp") that can optionally be
used by all subprojects that make use of oslo.messaging.

I can't say it's broadly interesting to many subprojects - at least
not at this point.  However, I'm more concerned that _some_ CI
coverage of this new functionality is provided.  To be frank - really
don't want to see the same lack of CI test coverage for this new
driver that has plagued the existing impl_qpid driver.

Admittedly, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the CI system, but
I'd like to have at least one non-voting gate test that exercises this
new driver.

--
Ken Giusti  (kgiusti at gmail.com)