[OpenStack-Infra] Fedora and Centos Testing

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Thu Jul 17 06:10:12 UTC 2014

Hi

I wanted to send an update about Fedora and CentOS testing

Fedora
======

The first goal is to get a single Fedora job back up and running
gating devstack changes in [1].  This requires a restart of nodepool
to ensure the changes in [2] have taken.  I'm hoping the right people
with the keys to the castle can do that soon.

Stability of this job is somewhat unknown, it's hasn't run for long
enough to get a track record.  We'll keep a close eye on this, with
the goal of moving it to a voting devstack job when appropriate.

A lot of people use Fedora/devstack, so keeping it clean will really
help increase confidence they can "git pull" without wasting their day
debugging issues.

There has been interest from others (ceilometer, nova) in Fedora based
jobs for various reasons, including package availability.  Once we've
got some experience with this first job, we can propose some reviews
where Fedora is going to provide tangible benefits and discuss the
direction for future jobs.

To the future, I'd like to keep the latest Fedora gating on the master
branches.  We've yet to do a transition; Fedora 21 will be the first
and a good proof of how it will work.  Changes will be coming when
appropriate for that.

CentOS7
=======

Longer-term testing is appropriate for CentOS7

I would love to talk to anyone from Rackspace or HP about images on
their clouds.  I'd love to test them for you :)

The other path is the disk-image-builder changes to nodepool [3].
There's a lot in that review and the status seems to be "soon" (please
correct me if I'm wrong).

CentOS7 should be close to being ready to go.  There is a change to
make d-i-b images [4] and a change to run the node install scripts
[5].  I am doing internal CentOS7 runs on devstack changes with
redhatci.

Once we have the nodes, I think we should again start with a small
experimental devstack job to shake out the initial issues.  Once that
is working, we can have a discussion about where it's appropriate to
deploy.

Thanks,

-i

[1] https://review.openstack.org/104438/