[OpenStack-Infra] How to get new package requirements into the CI system using a PPA and EPEL?

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Tue Jul 15 23:28:53 UTC 2014

On 07/15/2014 11:55 PM, Ken Giusti wrote:
> Good to hear about epel's availability.  But on the Ubuntu/Debian
> side - is it possible to add the Qpid project's PPA to the config
> project?  From a quick 'grep' of the sources, it appears as if Pypy
> requires a PPA.  It's configured in
> modules/openstack_project/manifests/slave_common.pp).  Can I use
> this as an example for adding Qpid's PPA?

This is probably a good example of the puppet classes to use, but...

As discussed, it's questionable what you want here.  Probably for your
unit tests, you could mock-out calls to the library?  So you may not
need it installed at all?

If you want to test it "for real"; i.e. in a running environment with
real RPC happening between components, etc, then that would be in a
devstack environment.  It sounds like you'd probably be wanting to
define a new rpc-backend [1] that could be optionally enabled.

Once you had that in devstack, you'd have to start looking at the
jenkins-job-builder configs [2] and add a specific test that enabled
the flag for this back-end and add it as probably a non-voting job to
some component.

-i

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-dev/devstack/tree/lib/rpc_backend
[2] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/config/tree/modules/openstack_project/files/jenkins_job_builder/config/