[OpenStack-Infra] How to get new package requirements into the CI system using a PPA and EPEL?

Ken Giusti kgiusti at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 13:55:03 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:32 AM, Ian Wienand <iwienand at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 07/15/2014 02:23 AM, Ken Giusti wrote:
>> So now my question - the unit tests (tox) require these libraries be
>> installed on the machine the tests are running on in order for the
>> tests to pass.  Is it possible to have these packages installed to the
>> CI systems?  This would require adding EPEL or the Qpid PPA to these
>> systems.  Is this something I can do?  If so, are there any guides to
>> doing this?
>>
>> These packages would also need to be installed onto any systems that
>> will run the gate tests for oslo.messaging.
>
> Fedora/CentOS nodes will have EPEL available, not much works without
> it :)
>
> I think you'd best look at puppet setup for hosts in [1].  Your jobs
> like gate-oslo.messaging-python27 run on the "bare-*" nodes which use
> this setup.  So it would need to add a section to add your repo and
> install the packages.
>
> -i
>
> [1] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/config/tree/modules/openstack_project/manifests/thick_slave.pp

Ah, thanks for the pointer Ian, I'll look into this a bit (I'm not
very familiar with this body of code).

Good to hear about epel's availability.  But on the Ubuntu/Debian side
- is it possible to add the Qpid project's PPA to the config project?
>From a quick 'grep' of the sources, it appears as if Pypy requires a
PPA.  It's configured in
modules/openstack_project/manifests/slave_common.pp).  Can I use this
as an example for adding Qpid's PPA?

thanks for your help - I'm a complete noob here :)