[OpenStack-Infra] mysqlconnector and pypi vs oracle

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Jul 11 18:13:18 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-11 19:54:24 +1000 (+1000), Angus Lees wrote:
[...]
> How important is this?

Entirely.

> Do we have other avenues available to us?

I think the three possible solutions are:

1. Convince Oracle to get involved with the development community
for whom they're maintaining this library--that community releases
its libraries as packages hosted from a central repository
maintained by the community from which it can be more easily
mirrored and authenticated.

2. Go behind Oracle's back and start uploading a package of it to
PyPI for them (well, really for the community). We'd have to release
and require it under a different name since they control the PyPI
registration under the current name, so in reality this would
require a very thin fork of it.

3. Use another alternative like PyMySQL (which has the benefit of
being pure Python, supporting Py3K/PyPy, et cetera as mentioned in
the other discussion thread).