[OpenStack-Infra] Current options for getting Zanata going

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at princessleia.com
Tue Jul 1 17:10:00 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I met with Carlos of Zanata last week to chat about progress on
getting a VM up to demo it, some take-aways that we should chat about:

1. I was finally able to get a demo up of the pre-configured JBoss AS
7 version and they've updated http://zanata.org/download/ to reflect
parts where I got stuck

Unfortunately they say right on that page that "that this is not the
supported configuration" since it's pretty much a pre-packaged version
pinned to AS7, and AS7 is an older, community-based version of JBoss
that doesn't guarantee security updates. They target the enterprise
version for use with Zanata.

Now, even getting this demo running is a very manual process and
probably not worth puppetizing since it's not a long term solution,
it's just a demo. The question here is - do we want to move forward
with deploying this kind of demo site for the translators to test, or
do we want to have a properly installed, puppetized version running?

Which leads me to...

2. The community-based (no enterprise license) version of their
Enterprise JBoss is called WildFly (wildfly.org) and doesn't quite run
Zanata yet

There are some technical blockers to getting Zanata running on this,
but there's at least one person who is working on it, and with our
help might be able to get all the way there with full support. This is
an investment of time for us, but if it is a great translations
platform that the translators want to use, it may be worth it. OTOH,
Pootle already works.

3. Finally, there is the option of working with Red Hat to get a
donated license for their Enterprise JBoss version for use by
OpenStack, at the loss of having that part of our infrastructure being
"less free" than other parts due to requirement of Enterprise
licensing.

http://www.princessleia.com