[OpenStack-Infra] elastic-search delay metrics?

Clark Boylan clark.boylan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 01:07:46 UTC 2014

On Jan 14, 2014 6:14 AM, "Sean Dague" <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> I'm doing some fundamental refactors on the ER bot to help us try to
> figure out why we are often not tagging bugs that we should be, and have
> found that we're no longer really indexing in real time (which may be a
> huge part of this).
>
> Basically we've got a more or less hard timeout of 13 minutes (it's up
> to 20 attemps with a 40s wait between for random historical reasons)
> from gerrit fail reporting to having the console log index in ES. (We
> give it another 13 minutes after that to gather all the rest of the job
> appropriate logs).
>
> Because of the way we process events, timing out on one fail often means
> the next one actually might work, because you'll get 13 minutes from the
> time ER looked at your change, not since your change was posted (we're
> single threaded in this part of the loop).
>
> What I'm seeing right now is that starting up the bot locally it will
> always timeout waiting for results of the first failure that it gets,
> then if you get lucky, it might classify the 2nd fail.
>
> Given that, we really need to be tracking and alerting on ES delays some
> how, otherwise we're going to loose a lot of the value on this.
>
>         -Sean
>
> --
> Sean Dague
> http://dague.net

There are a couple things we can do about this. First, we should reenable
the logstash 05-08 workers to double the worker count. Second, we should
enable the new geard graphite statistics so that we can see queue length
trends. I can work on this when I get back from Perth, but don't let that
stop anyone from attacking it first.

Clark