[OpenStack-Infra] Release python-marconiclient 0.0.1a1 on pypi

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jan 9 14:00:42 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-08 11:10:50 +0100 (+0100), Flavio Percoco wrote:
> We tagged python-marconiclient this morning and we wanted to
> release a version of it on pypi. Unfortunately, at the same time
> we did that, zuul was restarted and the job wasn't triggered.
>
> Could any of job trigger the job manually? The tag we want to
> release is 0.0.1a1

Just to follow up, I worked with Flavio via IRC to take care of this
yesterday... we're spread a little thin this week so I'm only just
now getting this deep into my mountains of E-mail.

Bear in mind, it's a little unusual that you're wanting to serve
pre-release versions from PyPI:

    https://review.openstack.org/65483

Official OpenStack clients currently only publish their pre-releases
to tarballs.openstack.org and leave PyPI publication strictly for
release versions. Since you're still working toward your first
release there's not as much danger in it (users aren't going to
accidentally upgrade from a release to a newer prerelease because of
old pip behavior in your in your current case), but it's still
different from how official clients currently operate and you'll
want to revisit it between your final release candidate and the
first pre-release for the second release version.

We do, however, hope to start publishing wheels of pre-release
versions (but not tarballs of them) to PyPI soon, so perhaps that
will become standard for us before you officially release (no idea
what your timeline is, and we have no solid ETA either). This is
safer because the version of pip which started checking for
available wheels is the same version which started recognizing
standard pre-release version patterns and ceased installing them by
default. We'll provide more details on these improvements in release
process once we get a little closer.