[OpenStack-Infra] [openstack-dev] [infra] Basic zuul merger startup

Dane Leblanc (leblancd) leblancd at cisco.com
Tue Apr 22 16:49:01 UTC 2014

I'm trying to get zuul running on a 3rd party  test setup, but the merge does not seem to be happening. I suspect that I'm just not configuring the zuul merger correctly, or I'm missing some basic startup step.

In my setup, it's a single node on which I'm trying to run zuul, Jenkins, gearman, etc. (everything co-located).  I'm using the "IndependentPipelineManager" since this is for (not yet approved) code reviews.  The zuul debug logs show that jobs are being submitted to merger, but those jobs are never submitted to Jenkins.

The nc (netcat) utility shows that merger has messages in its queue, but there's no worker for merger:

neutronpluginsci:/var/log/zuul$ echo status | nc -q 3 localhost 4730
build:neutron   0       0       2
merger:merge    53      0       0         < = = = No worker
zuul:get_running_jobs   0       0       1
set_description:172.24.4.1      0       0       1
build:neutron_sandbox   0       0       2
stop:172.24.4.1 0       0       1
zuul:enqueue    0       0       1
zuul:promote    0       0       1
.

Some beginner questions:

(1)   What value can I use for zuul_url in zuul.conf, if everything (zuul, merger, gearman, Jenkins) will be collocated? I've tried just using this host's IP address and localhost:

[merger]
git_dir=/var/lib/zuul/git
git_user_name=zuul
git_user_email=cisco_openstack_neutron_ci at cisco.com
#zuul_url=http://zuul.example.com/p
#zuul_url=http://128.107.233.28/p
zuul_url=http://127.0.0.1/p

(Likewise, should I be using 'git_user_name=zuul' here, or the git user for our 3rd party gerrit account?

(2)   Given that I'm using IndependentPipelineManager, is there a way I can bypass the merger process?

(3)   Is the merger/merge process automatically started by zuul or gearman, and if so, how to debug its startup?

Thanks for any help,
Dane