[OpenStack-Infra] Desired requirements for centralized contributor identity service (was RE: On being an OpenID consumer instead of an OpenID producer.)

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 26 22:00:00 UTC 2013

I should give a good warning for any implementation: make the user's ID
their local identifier and have usernames delegate to their identifier.
Otherwise you run into a security issue with renaming users: fallenpegasus
requests a rename, then a new user takes fallenpegasus, thereby stealing
their identity on sites registered with
https://id.openstack.org/~fallenpegasus.

It's also not a bad idea to version the openid urls, like:

https://id.openstack.org/v1/<id>

where

https://id.openstack.org/~fallenpegasus -> https://id.openstack.org/v1/1

assuming ~fallenpegasus's ID is 1.

This makes it possible to change URL schemes in the future while still
keeping backwards compatibility for older names.