[OpenStack-Infra] Improving the way we handle Corporate CLAs

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Oct 28 14:47:52 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-24 10:28:51 -0700 (-0700), Stefano Maffulli wrote:
[...]
> Looking at how gerrit works I wonder if it would be possible to have a
> role for "project managers" who can sign a Corporate CLA and, via gerrit
> assign people to their own Corporate group. The use case I have in mind:
>
> As a project manager of Tycoon Corp I would like to sign up to Gerrit,
> sign the Corporate CLA hosted there, get the right to create a group for
> "Tycoon Corp" and assign individual members of Gerrit to it.
>
> I think that something as simple as that, while not 100% bullet proof,
> would be already a great improvement over the process we have right now.
>  How do you think this can be done?
[...]

There wouldn't really be any way to enforce anything with this, it
would only be best-effort on behalf of the CCLA signatories. Also,
the way Gerrit CLAs work, either we'd have to make the CCLA open to
anyone to sign (which could be used as a loophole to submit changes
to Gerrit without signing the ICLA, since CLA enforcement simply
requires that some CLA, any CLA, has been agreed to), or we'd have
to set the CCLA require approval (which as we've seen with the
USGCLA makes it more likely people with a tenuous grasp of English
try to sign it instead of/in addition to the ICLA and then can't
submit changes until someone clears their attempt from the DB).