[OpenStack-Infra] RFC: Be more aggressive in our control of pip in puppet

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Sun Oct 13 01:31:53 UTC 2013

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/51425/

It's marked WIP because it's TOTALLY untested. Probably doesn't even
compile.

I put it up to see what people thought of the general idea.

Main things:

- stop installing pip or setuptools from disto for the remainder of the
time that we're using pip to install things. Depending on pip as an
installer but then interfacing with the distro version is completely
schizophrenic

- stop using puppet's pip provider, since it is obsessed with making
unproxy aware http calls directly to pypi. I actually would like to make
both modules smarter and able to deal with pip.conf so that if we've got
a machine configured for a mirror, it uses it

Lemme know what you think and if it's not a complete -2, I'll make it
work for real.

Monty